SocraticGadfly: Personal perceptions of poverty, part 2

February 02, 2007

Personal perceptions of poverty, part 2

Let me get back to the personal side of this issue, as started in my
original post.

Some friends and acquaintances have said they could see me teaching.

Given that it’s easier than it used to be to “come in the back door” for K-12 teaching, that’s possible.

At the college level? To try to do that full-time, at least?

Although I don’t have one or two kids to worry about, having seen the example of my dad going to get his PhD, then having his dream come up empty-handed, leaves me pretty gun-shy about considering something like that.

And, without a PhD, it’s just not very likely you can get full-time college teaching slots.

Having done the part-time contract/freelance instructor route, I remember both the fun and joy of teaching AND the dog-eat-dog of trying to get class assignments, and doing this all without insurance. I could not have done that, in all likelihood, had I not been living with my dad.

Doing that alone seriously scares me.

No comments: