SocraticGadfly: Too personal?

February 01, 2007

Too personal?

A friend was caring enough to ask if I wasn’t worried about being too personal with some of my recent posts. She meant that not in the sense of worrying that I might upset someone not used to hearing about a family life far, far short of Ozzie and Harriett, but whether I shouldn’t be concerned about somebody using this against me.

The somewhat longer answer, expanding on what I told her, is that I haven’t gone into too many details; there’s still “layers” I have kept personal.

The psychological answer? No, those layers are protected by boundaries. But, in doing this, I believe I am converting what once were “walls” into boundaries. Beyond that, this is part of an intense cycle of emotions, and attendant possibilities for personal growth. That includes working through fears as well as other emotions. And, there is at least a bit of education in this for friends and other readers who don’t “flinch.”

The short answer, as to those people who might try to “use” these more personal posts?

No.

Those people, especially as I work through fears, anxieties, longings, yearnings and more, and share carefully selected parts of that in public, have less and less possibility of having any real power over me. That, too is part of my potential gain. Beyond that, anybody who would do that, including people who have in essence tried to “smear” me with other information already on this blog (former school superintendents and others know who they are) have already demonstrated a lack of spiritual, personal, and psychological depth and integrity anyway, and have failed, besides that.

No comments: