SocraticGadfly: I’m not “anti-Mac,” it’s just that I think …

January 31, 2007

I’m not “anti-Mac,” it’s just that I think …

Steve Jobs at times can be the best salesman west of, well, Larry Lewis!

(I don’t know who should be more hurt by that.)

I have PCs (desktop and laptop) at home. Started with Windows 95 on the first I owned. Then 98SE, then 2000 and now XP.

Yes, viruses, worms, etc. can be a concern.

But, is that more because Windows is inherently deficient, or simply because it’s the “magnet” with more than 80 percent of computers? While it’s not really an “either-or” situation, I lean toward the magnet. I’d put 75 percent of the problem on that side of the scale and 25 percent on Windows-based security problems or laziness.

BUT, that said …

Jobs has been nonexistent on comment about, or corporate response to, the Month Of Apple Bugs hacking project in January. Cupertino, Calif., has its share of security laziness as much as Redmond, Wash.

Month of Apple Bugs: As I said before, 91 days on average to fix security problems is horrible. You Mac Kool-Aid drinkers should be thankful Jobs doesn’t have 80 percent of the market, or Macs would be so buggy they wouldn’t run.

OK, the charges that Gates “stole” from Mac? Well, ideas can’t be patented, and reverse engineering has been part of the American psyche at least since somebody cracked open Eli Whitney’s cotton gin. (When foreigners do it, though, we normally tend to belittle and stereotype them.)

And, yes, because Windows was building on previous shells until XP, it had problems that Macs didn’t.

But, THAT said …

I’ve NEVER had either of my current computers with XP crash, as far as system crashes. And, I’ve had no more program crashes with them than with my office OS X where I currently am.

And, as I’ve said before and elsewhere, Windows made a bigger improvement jump from 2000 to XP, in my opinion, than Mac did from OS 9 to OS X.

And, isn’t that part of the marketing? Switching from Arabic to Roman numerals to make it sound like the Super Bowl of computing or something?

Looking more at and beyond Mac computers:

iPod? Great.

iPhone? Overhyped, and as I noted a couple of weeks ago, hyped with bad timing, but that might be due to the weakness of Apple TV.

Apple TV? Didn’t I just say it? Wait, you’re not running out to buy one?

Steve Jobs stock options backdating problems: Priceless, precisely because they undermine Apple’s “outsider, David vs. Goliath” image. Davids don’t get on the hook for millions, or tens of millions, of dollars in backdates stock options.

Say good night, Steve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out this interesting article comparing the iPhone to Windows Media 5, and modern smart phones.

>iPhone - Already an Outdated Technology????