SocraticGadfly: Asking ...

February 03, 2007

Asking ...

We all know the old cliché that the only stupid question is the unasked one.

While that may or may not be true in the high school or college classroom, in personal growth, I submit:
The only truly harmful question is the unasked one.

We all have needs for today. Many of our needs, whether physiological or emotional, we can meet ourselves.

But, some we cannot.

So, we need to ask. Sometimes we need to ask again and again. Or we need to figure out the right way to ask, or who is the right person to ask.

If that’s true of needs, it’s true in spades of wants.

Wants, after all, often involve another person, and so we obviously can’t meet them by ourselves.

I can’t find, create or develop a love relationship inside myself. I can’t get a promotion or new job assignments all by myself (unless I’m self employed). I can’t develop new growth in any community, be it a church, small group, self-help group or whatever, inside myself.

I need to ask.

For some of the things in life that I’m wanting, or changes of state that I’m wanting… and I mean I Steve Snyder, not “I” as a substitute for “everybody” …
I need to ask.

Like The Philosopher casting his bread upon the waters to wait for its return after many days, consider this my asking, scattering my wants, not enumerated here, but guessable by some of you, on the winds of electromagnetic ether.

So, I'm asking ...

No comments: