SocraticGadfly: Not sure about this Ace Rental Car

July 22, 2022

Not sure about this Ace Rental Car

I'm taking vacation in a couple of weeks.

Got my plane tickets some time ago, then, over rental car prices at my original destination (a possible domino effect from the Yellowstone floods) wound up changing destinations.

I usually worry about getting a rental car immediately after locking in a flight, though I do look at rental car prices for several different possible destination airports when flying in the Western US, while perusing flights at the same time. Lesson learned, if this wasn't a one-off.

Anyway, will be cutting work close on Friday of vacation start with the change in destinations being an earlier Friday night departure, but I'll be OK.

I switched while perusing rentals, and got a MUCH better deal.

OK, now, to Ace.

Usually, a couple of weeks after getting a rental (and I will pay the extra total cost in exchange for free cancellation if not an outlandish difference), I go back to Travelocity or Expedia and look again.

Well, up pops this Ace, and more than $100 cheaper than my original price.

I'd never heard of them before.

Supposedly, they're a LOT smaller than the other boys, but they truly are independent — not part of Avis, Hertz or Enterprise. (Sixt, in case you're wondering, is German, and bought "gates," if you will, in the US from bankrupt Advantage for its most recent expansion.) But, they, Ace, allegedly only have 59 sites. Or is it 300+, per Wiki?

Well, that's a red flag there, if we don't have agreement on that. Or maybe it's 59 in the US and 300+ overall.

Another red flag? Why didn't I see them a month ago?

Another red flag? ALL of their SUVs? Same price. AND, less than a compact car or the "dealer's choice" mystery car.

Another red flag? Apparently LOTS of hidden fees they try to foist on you, based on these reviews. Also, having Googled "Ace Rent A Car," it looks like there may be a lot of independent contractors signed up under Ace's name. Another red flag.

Final red flag? Per the "our story" at their own website? AND? Contra that "supposedly" link? They sold out to Avis a few years back. In other words, they're probably Avis' loss-leader/come-on division. 

And, a bigger oops? Unless I entered the hours of arrival and departure on my flight wrong, Travelocity misled me. They're closed at the time I would arrive at that airport. (Option B may be that, when I officially booked my car, I entered a later time for "cushion.") No wonder they're so fucking cheap. Closed at 9 p.m. weeknights in an airport that size? If my flight were late, I'd be up shit creek.

Bye!

1 comment:

Gadfly said...

Oh, my outbound flight was an hour late, so unless the Avis booth handled Ace rentals after their closing hour, my rental car bed would have been crapped indeed! As it was, because staffing shortages, and maybe because New Mexico IS The Land of Disenchantment, Alamo's window in Duke City was closed, but all of us Alamo renters were sent to Enterprise's window.