SocraticGadfly: Texas Tribune looks at "independent voters" in a semi-failure piece

September 10, 2024

Texas Tribune looks at "independent voters" in a semi-failure piece

The Trib interviewed eight allegedly independent voters. I wrote that first sentence in anticipation that they'd screw the pooch on this.

And, they didn't totally.  They did include one guy who voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, then Biden in 2020, and plans to vote for Chase Oliver this year. And, a second who did the same the past two elections, but fears Trump so much he's voting Harris.

There was one Clinton → Trump voter listed who had planned to vote Brainworm Bobby, and another Wasted Space supporter who voted Dem in both 2016 and 2020 — AND was one of the Brainworms 40 pledged electors. Both are currently undecided, tho the second one is looking at Cornel West.

But? James Barragan couldn't find ANYBODY who voted left of Democrats in either 2016 or 2020, though? And, couldn't find more than eight participants?

So, in that sense, it's a failure.

So, let's add ...

ME!

2016: Voted Jill Stein; regret that even without Yashar Ali's basically true but Democrat oppo research hit piece on Stein coming until after early voting started, that I didn't vote for SPUSA's Mimi Soltysik.

2020: Did not vote. I had moved, but didn't want to pay just to change my driver's license address when, because of the Real ID changes, I would have to renew it in person by early 2021. Howie Hawkins didn't hugely jazz me, but he had the SPUSA line as well as the GP one, and I don't think I would have been mentally prepared to vote further left than that.

2024: I am. Claudia de la Cruz. (SPUSA's Bill Stodden has done almost nothing in terms of ballot access.)

No comments: