SocraticGadfly: Antifa slouches further toward Gomorrah

October 02, 2020

Antifa slouches further toward Gomorrah

I do not support people who, under the alleged "antifa" label and in reality as the moral descendants of the old Black Bloc, use the excuse of protesting against police brutality to engage in anarchic behavior. And, I'm not alone. In part for the same reasons, legit Black Lives Matter people and other persons of color in cities like Portland have said they don't like outsiders horning in.

The newest is nearly all-white marchers, again without full BLM buy-in, going into largely white residential neighborhoods and saying things like "take down that flag." And finding out that Black veterans think they're full of it. Elsewhere, in Rochester, New York, going to restaurant outdoor seating areas and dumb shit like shaking tables? Beyond other issues, this is promoting claims of collective guilt that I reject philosophically.

To me, it's not primarily an issue of whether the tagalongs are primarily White or not. And, were I Black (or American Indian or Hispanic) in Portland, whether or not they're outsiders might not be a huge deal. But? Anarchism for anarchism's sake? Different kettle of fish.

After all, that's part of the background behind Trumpist alt-righter Kyle Rittenhouse allegedly killing two people.

I condemn anarchism even before it reaches this point of destruction of property, and I'm not a hypercapitalist or even close. I disliked the original Black Bloc ever since it did this Kabuki theater at the 1998 WTO meeting in Seattle. I generally halfway distrust explicitly anarchist Greens for this reason. Per stories from Kenosha and elsewhere, this isn't Fortune 500 businesses being destroyed.

No comments: