SocraticGadfly: The stupidity of trying to work for Barnes and Noble

August 04, 2009

The stupidity of trying to work for Barnes and Noble

I visited my nearest B&N yesterday, job-hunting.

As expected, I was told it had no openings right now. I asked if I could have an application. As halfway expected, I was directed toward the website.

First, the B&N’s main page’s most obvious careers link is only for corporate jobs.

Second, if you find the correct link, for store jobs, you read:
If you want to join our community of booksellers, please check out our job listings on HotJobs.com, or download a job application and take it to your local store.

So, I can go through the Rube Goldberg world of visiting a local store, being told to go to the website, then being told to take a job app form from there back to a local store?

Well, if B&N goes under, either to Borders or to nothingness, we’ve already got one example of its corporate “brilliance.”

Example No. 2, of “brilliance,” in a combination of cheapness, stupidity and more is in the same sentence above. If you do want to look for B&N jobs online, they don’t even list them at their own website. (HotJobs is a Yahoo service.)

Update: Per a friend of mine, commenting here, B&N is supposed to have applications available locally. (Honestly, I would have thought so, but in the Internet world of today, you never know.) So, a lazy, or whatever, employee gets the company a black eye, at least a bit of one.

No comments: