SocraticGadfly: La Russa gives Izzy a ‘mental health’ break

May 11, 2008

La Russa gives Izzy a ‘mental health’ break

Given the way Jason Isringhausen has been blowing saves for the St. Louis Cardinals, is his removal from the closer’s role a mental health break for him or for Redbird skipper Tony La Russa?

Or for us fans?
“I’m just pitching like a second grader,” Isringhausen said.

In 2007, Isringhausen had just two blown saves the entire season. Even though he has 11 saves this season, he also has failed to convert four of his last seven chances.

“We should have five more wins in the win column, in my mind,” Isringhausen said. “We should be out in first place even more. They can’t keep sending me out there when I’m pitching the way I’m pitching. I’m going to have to figure out some kind of remedy. I’m sure that remedy will give me some time off from the role - and get someone in there who can do a better job right now.”

La Russa said he eventually expects Izzy back in the closer’s role. Right now, Izzy has a .297 BAA and an ERA on the high side of 7.

Closing a game can be kind of overrated, but I don’t think Russ Springer and Ryan Franklin are the long-term answer, either. Franklin is having a decent year so far, but has never been a closer, and is as old as Izzy. Springer is 40. They have a combined 10 career saves.

The Cards are talking about trading in-the-doghouse Anthony Reyes to the Rockies. I would take Brian Fuentes, but would like to try to get a middle infielder, also. Maybe Jonathan Herrera.

And, couldn’t the team have known about Troy Glaus having allergy problems before trading for him?

At the same time, ex-Cards outfielder Jim Edmonds is slugging, not batting, .222. I said they should have let him walk after 2006, instead of giving him that two-year extension. At least they didn’t have to hold onto him the second year.

No comments: