SocraticGadfly: I agree with AP’s clamping down on “AP” courses at high schools

April 02, 2007

I agree with AP’s clamping down on “AP” courses at high schools

Here in lower east Texas, I saw a “feel good” car-dealer ad about a “good kid” at Madisonville High School, which is centered on a town of 4,500.

Said he had a 5.4 GPA, and I’m assuming that’s on a 4-point scale, with double extra points for AP classes, single extra point for non-AP honors classes. Even if that’s on a 5-point scale, it’s some ridiculous grade inflation. The kid may be smart, but I’m pretty sure he ain’t THAT smart.

Anyway, sorry I’m not giving a link, but the AP, as in Advanced Placement, not Associated Press, announced last week it is REALLY going to crack down.

In the future, high schools are going to have to provide a ream of documentation that each alleged AP class they offer is actually an AP-level class.

No comments: