SocraticGadfly: What do I want?

March 04, 2007

What do I want?

Chuck Bloom said he hopes to see more politics being blogged here and not just cryptic personal revelations. Well, Chuck, I’ll try to get back to politics more. Perhaps, though, that’s a sign of how I feel right now. I don’t want to say “depressed,” but let’s just say that maybe my political interest isn’t as urgent or driving right now.

And, maybe I’ll get a bit less cryptic on the personal revelations.
Anyway, the brief dash to Dallas also brings to mind the question of “what do I want?”

That has different meaning depending on whether you accent “what,” “I” or “want.”

The “what,” career-wise or personal relationship-wise, is a mess right now. I just know I want a job and career path that well uses my skills, interests and aptitudes. If that means leaving newspaper journalism, so be it. I also know that, especially as long as I’m single, I am NOT a small-town person, definitely not in this part of the world.

Who is the “I”? Well, that person changes all the time. And I’m not even sure who he is right now.

“Want”? I’m still working on figuring out all of my apparent wants, the psychological drives behind them, how I best meet them, and more. Work on that is one small reason I’ve started counseling sessions.

No comments: