SocraticGadfly: If Debbie Wade is right, and reporting what she was told right, somebody at LISD Admin is telling a whopper

March 06, 2007

If Debbie Wade is right, and reporting what she was told right, somebody at LISD Admin is telling a whopper

From Debbie Wade’s public forum statements:
I recently was excited to learn that the board packet was to be posted on the district website. I later learned that technology had not gotten that far but only those on staff could get this information through the electronic school board. I signed up for the information as instructed and was approved soon after. The first week, I was able to pull up the information and read the packet. After a week or so, I went back into the site and a statement saying, “Not approved for public viewing” had replaced the packet. I sent an email to the superintendent’s secretary and she said it was an accident that it had been submitted to the site. I also asked why if we in the public provided our email addresses, could we not be informed of scheduled and called School board meetings prior to the meetings occurring. She wrote back and said it was against the law to email the public about the meetings. I asked for the law number and she responded that she was referring to district policy instead.

Sorry, but Joyce Brein didn’t think up something like that by herself.

I get e-mailed meeting agendas all the time, at my current newspaper and in the past. And, being a newspaper editor does not give me some special right above and beyond the general public.

Further illustration: On the city of Lancaster side, former City Manager Jim Landon started a “Friday update.” All sorts of private individuals signed up for the e-mail list.

If you have an e-mail list-serve, Supt. Lewis, anybody can be given any public information at the time it’s posted.

No comments: