SocraticGadfly: NOT impressed with OS X

January 23, 2007

NOT impressed with OS X

And no, this has nothing to do with my emotional state, or where I do or do not want to be.

After seven work days with OS X, I say: What’s the big deal, other than another brilliant marketing job by Steve Jobs?

Here, I’ve had problems with both Quark 6.5 and Photoshop CS2.

Sometimes on Quark, if I’ve done an Apple-A/Select All on text, and changed tracking, etc., and then need to make further changes, Quark doesn’t want to do anything unless I first save.

Photoshop? Pics seem slow to open, compared to Photoshop 7 on Mac OS 9.2, my reference point. Commands also seem slow.

If it were just Quark, with its quirks, doing this, I’d say it was a Quark problem.

But, two programs, and two of the “creative” programs that are supposed to run so well on Macs vs. PCs? Nope, that’s an OS problem, not a program problem.

Plus, I was trying to find a file, a Word doc, by body copy content. The search parameters are different, and I don’t know if the server here automatically indexes or not. (Up at Today, I couldn’t search docs on the server by body copy content because it wasn’t set to auto-index.) Well, here, after I launched the search, I wasn’t given an error message to that effect (the server here is on OS 9, while we work on OS X), and so I expected a result or results to be spit out soon enough.

Wrong. Ninety minutes later, my computer is still spinning search wheels.

Is Microslob still behind Mac in some ways? Yes, no doubt about it.

But, has the gap closed in the last few years? Absolutely.

On the Windows side, the “jump” from 2000 to XP was significantly more, IMO, than the Mac jump from OS 9 to OS X. Again, mark Steve Jobs as master salesman and spinmeister first, true innovator second. The iPhone and Apple TV should show that to anybody.

No comments: