SocraticGadfly: Beer and wine thoughts

November 05, 2006

Beer and wine thoughts

Sorry, Jeff, but I think you’re in the wrong on this issue

Obviously, the bulk of local blogging I’ve done here in the last month has been about the school bond. I have had a post or two about the city charter amendments, and even other things such as The Preserve.

But, prompted by a couple of recent e-mails by Jeff Melcher, I will offer a few more thoughts on this issue.

Melcher thinks that the “yes” side on beer and wine package sales is all wet. (Pun intended.) I respectfully disagree.

As I told him, in previous beer-wine, or liquor, sales elections here, organized opponents have consistently been late in filing campaign finance reports. And, given that a city councilman is part of the organized opposition, and that the opposition is largely made up of ministerial leaders, I find this disquieting.

He also thinks this is an issue of “old aristocracy” vs. newcomers.

Don’t think so. I wouldn’t label either Pat Royder or Norman Whitlow as “old aristocracy.” If anything, opposition leader Clyde Hairston would fit that bill better.

And, rich, organized liquor opponents can pay to have “homey” postcards have that “down home” touch, Jeff.

No comments: