SocraticGadfly: WaPost shows again how it's a lap dog

January 11, 2005

WaPost shows again how it's a lap dog

In talking about Dina Powell, the head of the White House personnel office, the Washington Post’s Ann Gerhart basically says that she’s willing to roll over and play dead to get a White House interview.

“She has a talent for being warm and gregarious while staying completely disciplined. She insists that an hour-long interview be on background, with quotes needing to be approved prior to publication>” Gerhart says of Powell.

And obviously Gerhart agreed to these terms. Just as obviously, so did people up the Post’s editorial chain.
Thank doorknobs that I don’t work at a newspaper like that. The Post’s money, the money of just another establishmentarian corporation, couldn’t buy off my conscience for laying there and getting screwed. I'd much rather have the freedom of where I'm at, asking the questions I want.

I have never agreed to conduct an interview with a public offical only on background. I have agreed in advance to have someone go off the record about specific issues, but that is different.

No comments: