SocraticGadfly: Jim Reeves gets HOF, roiding, Pameiro right

January 18, 2011

Jim Reeves gets HOF, roiding, Pameiro right

Jim Reeves, formerly of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and now of ESPN, talks in detail about why he's willing to be a "gatekeeper" with his BBWAA vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame and keep out Rafael Palmeiro, along with Mark McGwire and others.

The nut graf, or two, is at the end:
I didn't vote for him. I doubt that I ever will. I can't and won't apologize for doing my job the best way I know how.

What I won't ever do, I hope, is bury my head in the sand and ignore my responsibility as a Hall of Fame voter. I'll quit before it comes to that.

Yes, it may be a tourist attraction and Cooperstown, N.Y., moneymaker above all else, but it is also a shrine to the game.

So Commissioner Bud Selig? Union leader Gene Orza? It's time to really fess up about your knowledge of, or guesses about, roiding.

No comments: