SocraticGadfly: Obama does NOT rule out raising retirement age

October 29, 2010

Obama does NOT rule out raising retirement age

President Obama's recent confab with liberal bloggers shows that he's still leaving the door open to the Catfood Commission on Social Security change.

Here's the comment from Obama on Social Security:
We are awaiting a report from the deficit commission, or deficit reduction commission, so I have been adamant about not prejudging their work until we get it. ... But I’ve said in the past, I’ll say here now, it doesn’t strike me that a steep hike in the retirement age is in fact the best way to fix Social Security.

Note the weasel word of "steep." And, notice that, he didn't even rule out a "steep hike." He just said he didn't think that was "the best way to fix Social Security.

And, of course, note the word "fix." Which implies Social Security is broken, or is becoming so.

All Obama had to do was say: "I don't think Social Security is broken, It may need minor to moderate changes, but I think we can accomplish those without changing the retirement age."

No comments: