SocraticGadfly: My predictions for The Masters

April 08, 2009

My predictions for The Masters

The full list of Masters tee times is now out. A few morsels:

Tiger with Stewart Cink. Jeev Singh, the "other" Singh, the third there.

Best threesome? Singh, Els, Ogilvy, followed by Mickelson with Jim Furyk and Camilo Villegas. Plus, those two threesomes are just two groups apart on the course. Would be great to be live for that.

Weather? Looking pretty decent, per Weather Underground (best online weather source you can find).

Chance of rain Friday, but not too high of one. And, that's most likely Friday evening/night, softening greens Saturday. Temps in 70s all four days and no serious winds.

Should be a low-scoring tournament. I say the winner comes in at 8-10 under.

And, who will post that? I have to agree it's Tiger vs. the field. As for "the field"?

Phil? Feh? After Winged Foot 2006, I'll believe he's going to win another major after he actually does it. Just like I'll believe he's on a new strength and conditioning program until after he does it for a full season.

The Big Easy? Rides off into the sunset.

Rory McIlory? Top-16 finish.

Compadre Padraig Harrington? Ditto.

My man Vijay is still laboring from his knee surgery.

If it's Tiger, cue me up on the Tiger-vs-Jack issue of competition or lack thereof. At Augusta, the top three majors winners after Tiger are all in the seniors division.

But, I opt for someone else.

The Goose will lay a golden egg and South Africa gets a second straight green jacket.

No comments: