SocraticGadfly: ‘Carnival of the Liberals’ isn’t

January 30, 2009

‘Carnival of the Liberals’ isn’t

Another Carnival of the Liberals is out. Again, yours truly didn’t make the cut.

CotL is different than most blog carnivals in that it has a 10-post cutoff for posts each issue, making it more selective, if you will, than two other blog carnivals to whom I regularly submit.

My submission this time?

Tim Geithner compares Obama to Bush. Nuff said?

It’s not the first time that something that critiques what passes for American liberalism from further left hasn’t made the cut. That’s OK in and of itself.

What’s not OK from where blog is some of the stuff that gets in.

The main offender? The blogger known as Greta Christina, whose posts regularly make the Top 10 cut, even when, as this time around (no link will be provided), they’re of no connection to any liberal issue. A blog post deriding conspiracy theories is fine for, say, Skeptics’ Circle, but it had nothing to do with liberalism. And, she does nothing for me anyway.

Beyond that, seeing comments yesterday on this Washington Monthly post by CotL host Dr. Biobrain, I now realize why I’m not making the cut. (His comments to my Geithner post only reinforce that. Note to Democrats only "liberals" like Biobrain – look in the mirror before calling somebody like me closed-minded.)

When the idea of someone being to the left of Obama is basically derided, I don’t need to bang my head against that wall any more.

So, I doubt I’ll bother submitting anymore. I can always post my best left-liberal comment of the last two weeks to the blog that hosts the particular CotL.

No comments: