SocraticGadfly: My U.S. Open thoughts after round two

June 14, 2008

My U.S. Open thoughts after round two

Looking at the scoreboard, it’s probably Tiger’s to lose. He can grind out two more rounds on a still-sore knee, then take the whole pre-British summer off if he hurts that bad. Then, he can take off again until the PGA.

But, “can” doesn’t necessarily mean “will.” So, let’s look at the rest of the field.

Phil’s out of it at plus-4 and seven off the lead, and yes, while he might have some chance, I think this was his “last, best hope,” and Master Samwise ain’t carrying his bags this weekend. I think he’s going to have to rethink the idea of not carrying a driver if he wants any shot at a comeback, too.

The Big Easy? Boy, wouldn’t this be a comeback win for Els?

Karlsson — two subpar rounds, playing steady. D Love III could have a last gasp? Jimenez has potential. And, Ogilvy is up there. If Harrington had not had that 78 in the first round, I’d give him more of a shot, but maybe he can make up six strokes. Maybe Goosen can. Luke Donald could break through, too. Westwood has never done much at majors.

And, that's it as far as people with realistic chances, in my book.

I’m still not ready to bet Tiger against the field, so I’ll put one red on the Big Easy to win his third U.S. Open.

No comments: