SocraticGadfly: No regrets over regrets if they’re not properly handled

February 24, 2007

No regrets over regrets if they’re not properly handled

I know holding on to regrets too much can be a dangerous thing. But, I don’t believe anyone can emotionally force himself or herself to just jettison old regrets. I think you have to work through them first. (Emotional “forcing” doesn’t work in general on about anything, for that matter.)

First, I think, finding out how much of the emotion behind the regret is sadness and how much is anger is very important. Then, working through that emotion is helpful, or even necessary. After that, “mourning/grieving” the fact that whatever the issue is didn’t turn out the way I wanted is also helpful. If the issue is big enough, or has sat unresolved enough, this can take a while, just like the stereotyped DABDA, the denial/anger/bargaining/depression/acceptance process of grieving in general.

No comments: