SocraticGadfly: “Even a poor tailor journalist has some right to happiness”

February 24, 2007

“Even a poor tailor journalist has some right to happiness”

I just got a remastered DVD version of “Fiddler on the Roof” from Amazon this week. Letterbox version with some add-ons.

It’s one of my top movies of all time, even if folks at the American Film Institute can’t see fit to vote it into their top-100 list.

The undercurrent theme of tragedy, the elements of change, and the way the three romances are played off of that, are all key to why I like it, as is the music.

Anyway, the remastering has cleaned up the soundtrack as well as the video. And, in part due to my current churned-up emotional state, I certainly probably had the most teary viewing of Fiddler ever.

The quote (the original quote, not with the strikethrough) is actually first from Tevye’s oldest daughter, Tzeitel. Motel the tailor, her childhood sweetheart, repeats it when finally getting the nerve to tell Tevye he wants to marry Tzeitel himself. It resonates a lot with me.

No comments: