SocraticGadfly: So now Expedia’s charging booking fees

August 16, 2005

So now Expedia’s charging booking fees

At the end of July, I bought a flight from Dallas to Ontario, Calif.

I didn't notice it at the time, but when I got my latest credit card statement, I saw an additional $5 Expedia booking fee.

I've used Expedia, as well as Travelocity and Orbitz, before, and don't recall seeing anything like that from them, or either of the other two big online bookers.

I just e-mailed Expedia's customer service. The customer service webpage promises a response in four hours. We shall see what is in my e-mailbox when I wake up.

Update, later in the day:
Here is the official Expedia confirmation of the policy, via e-mail:

"In order to provide you with the broadest selection of travel options, we charge a nonrefundable booking fee of $5 per ticket. This fee will appear as a separate charge on your credit card statement."

No comments: