SocraticGadfly: Goodbye to The American Southwest

August 25, 2023

Goodbye to The American Southwest

No, not the portion of the US, as I'll continue to vacation there.

I'd been thinking about leaving THE American Southwest Facebook group for some time. John Crossley is almost as much a Nazi snowflake admin as those at some religious subreddits. A few years ago, he said "no photo links from websites." I forgot he expanded that to "no YouTube links from videos." So, I direct-uploaded one, and that was hauled down too. So, with that, I first deleted every picture post of mine but one, so I could leave a semi-fuck-off farewell there as well as in a separate comment. Besides indicating what I thought of Crossley, albeit without name, also told people I was in multiple MeWe groups that had no problems with photo or video links. That's that. (I did mention Crossley by name on my own Facebook page.)

If Crossley thought he would really get swamped with link spam by allowing YouTube links, or Vimeo or other video sites, let alone ones off Google Photos or even Flickr, call on a couple more assistant mods. (I did not block any of them.)

MeWe dodges that, in part, by being much lower traffic, I know. But, still, there's a principle. And, life is too short to deal with these Nazi and/or snowflake mods.

That said, I had barely posted there in a couple of years. The "no more photo links" had already irked me (tho he did let previous ones stay up). The "no YouTubes" did so even more.

And, again, it's not just me. Surely at least a few percent of people still members there have videos they'd like to post. But, I guess they haven't spoken out.

And, speaking of other people there?

It's kind of like members at 14ers' Facebook. A year ago, I had said I planned to go to the Bisti Badlands, now the federally designated De-Na-Zhin Wilderness. And, a bunch of commenters treated me — without asking questions back of me first — like I was some pilgrim. 

This gets back, a bit, to Naugrith the Nazi at r/AcademicBiblical. Social media groups, whether John/Jane Doe individuals, let alone moderators, making unwarranted assumptions.

No comments: