SocraticGadfly: I can cut the deficit better than the NYT

November 16, 2010

I can cut the deficit better than the NYT

The New York Times, in an interactive page, lets readers try to balance the budget. Even within the NYT's chintzy constraints, I actually produced a surplus.

Among the chintzy constraints? It won't let you get ALL troops out of A-stan and Iraq by 2015; no surprise from the warmongers there. It also won't let you address corporate income tax loopholes, just some individual ones.

If the NYT would allow all the tax changes I'd like, I'd produce a $300 billion surplus by 2030, without breaking a sweat.

That said, I do agree with it and the Catfood Commission on eliminating a few individual income tax exemptions, above all the mortgage interest deduction. It would stop McMansions, speculative home buying and other evils. It's about the only Catfood Commission idea, other than inadequate defense cuts, I agree with.

No comments: