SocraticGadfly: Amazon gets its panties in a wad about "sh*t"

February 16, 2010

Amazon gets its panties in a wad about "sh*t"

I recently read a book called "The Big Necessity," a fascinating look at sanitation issues around the modern world. (It's also a depressing look, when you read that more than 2.5 billion people lack adequate sanitation, and that people who die from "water-borne diseases" are really dying from shit-borne ones.)

Anyway, despite the author talking about such puns/waggery, etc. early in the book, she does quote people using the word "shit" in a non-profane/cursing way, all while noting that as sexual vulgarity has lost some shock value, defecation certainly hasn't, because of extra prudery there.

I noticed, though, that the review hadn't been posted after a couple of days.

And, sure enough, Amazon spiked it, due to censorship, claiming it contained a profanity, namely, in the title, despite me using the asterisk, as here.

My response, in full:
First, the word was asterisked as "sh*t."

Second, it is NOT a profanity, as the book is about the shit of sanitation and the author even quotes people using that word.

YOU are part of the problem, on this issue.

Well, you gave me something to blog about, if nothing else. Thanks!

I suggest you re-look at my review. And then post it.

And, in a follow-up e-mail, Amazon won't change its mind.

If Powell's Books would import my old Amazon reviews and had a way of doing that, or Goodreads would, I'd stop reviewing at Amazon. And, if Powell's had more selection, I'd stop buying at Amaazon, too.

That said, with the follow-up e-mail, I'll have to check Half.com, the eBay-owned website for Half Price Books, to see if it can meet or beat Amazon's prices on some stuff in my cart.

Oh, here's the irony and hypocrisy. Amazon has a book by a survivor of Auschwitz. It's title? "Scheisshaus Luck."

Effing Amazon prissy-pants censors.

1 comment:

rose george said...

I just found this. Can you email me? rose at rosegeorge dot com
I'd like to know more so I can shout at Amazon. Very pleased you liked my book though.