SocraticGadfly: Newspaper ‘stimulus’ plan hits Congress

March 24, 2009

Newspaper ‘stimulus’ plan hits Congress

Sen Benjamin Cardin’s Newspaper Revitalization Act would let newspapers operate as nonprofit organizations for education purposes, similar to public broadcasting – or similar to my favorite British liberal newspaper, the Guardian.

And, Cardin is focused on newspapers, and newspaper-only operations; no conglomerate that own TV and/or radio as well.

I like it.

Of course, newspaper CEOs are going to have to permanently accept that this puts paid to the era of 30 percent, or even 20 percent, profit margins.

Nonprofit means nonprofit.

And, I’m gambling that between social Darwinist drives and pride, many newspaper companies might not bite.

That said, from a working stiff editor whose been at “community” newspapers all my life …

I like it.

No comments: