SocraticGadfly: PayPal and bloggers

January 30, 2008

PayPal and bloggers

I don’t claim this blog is anywhere close to major league. I’ve never tested myself on the website that lets bloggers rate themselves by position in the animal kingdom.

Instead, I’ll use a baseball reference.

I’d consider my blog lower-level AA ball. Not AAA, let alone the majors; and not even, to be honest, a high AA team. But, it’s not Class A and it’s certainly not rookie league.

And, it is high enough that blog advertising sales company Newstex approached me, not the other way around.

Anyway, between low and high AA, there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of politically-focused blogs out there.

So, why do so many assume that they’ve so much to offer, or they’re so great, that they schlep for PayPal donations? I dunno. A blog version of an extended version of Warhol’s 15 minutes of fame?

Speaking for myself, I would consider it greedy and condescending if I solicited PayPal money. If I were more techie, and really thought people would pay, I would firewall at least parts of some posts, and other posts in their entirety, behind a subscription paywall.

Well, many of those other blogs I just mentioned are probably more techie than I am. So, why don’t they go this route instead?

No comments: