SocraticGadfly: Anonymity, protection of sources, and posting here

November 15, 2006

Anonymity, protection of sources, and posting here

I treat comments here on sensitive matters as being like comments to me as the newspaper editor, even though this blog is not officially connected to Lancaster Today in any way.

If you want anonymity, you can have it.

That said, if you want to use an alias, please do so. If you want to do that, but use your actual e-mail, you can do that. If you want to use an alias and no e-mail, or a fake e-mail, you can enter that in the appropriate space in the Haloscan comments.

If I need to make reference to my information at all in a story in the newspaper, I will do so saying something like … “sources familiar with the new high school said …”

I have done so with my story coming out in this Thursday’s paper, and ran that language in front of the person who was an early and primary source of information before saying anything in print.

No comments: