SocraticGadfly: Voting 2022 primary time

February 18, 2022

Voting 2022 primary time

When you live in a small "red" county in Texas, the local offices are all R's these days. Plus, with Greens not having anything contested at the state convention, AFAIK, and having no desire to vote in a Libertarian state convention, that means voting R in the primary, which I did yesterday in early voting.

Also, per my dad, my one great-grandfather, an old yellow dog Democrat, always voted in the Republican primaries when a primary was the option. His reason why? He wanted the least objectionable Republican to be in the general election.

Add in, first my blog post Monday about local races, and then a second Monday post observing that regional Dems couldn't even get anybody to challenge Michael Burgess, and I wanted to live up to that maxim.

So, on regional and state GOP races? I did vote for Burgess (sad, but) vs the even more wingnut challengers he has. I haven't seen any real polling on that race; I don't know if there's any chance it goes to a runoff.

I voted KANDY KORN KAYE for guv! (And, before I got home this evening, I thought I had typed "KANE" for her last name.) Yeah, she's got no chance, but after the Three Stooges of Strangeabbott, West and Huffines, everyone else in that primary other than her is a wingnut stooge. As for whether that goes to a runoff or not? I doubt it, but am not as confident as the Trib and other statewide media.

I voted Eva Guzman for AG. Definitely less objectionable than either Kenny Boy Paxton or Gohmert Pyle, and not a graven panderer unlike Pee Bush. (Side note: first yard sign I saw for a statewide candidate was for Pee.) 

Ag Commish and RRC? I just "picked a name" among challengers to Jeebus Shot Sid Miller and Wayne-o Christian. Ditto for Lite Guv on "picking a name" not named Danny Goeb.

State-level judicial candidates? Most Rethugs are unopposed, and on civil liberties issues, I'm OK with Libertarians in the general, so didn't care. Plus, as I get older, I dislike partisan-election judicial races, and may in future elections undervote those races.

State senate? Vote-suppresser Drew Springer's unopposed in SD 30.

State house? Per my initial thoughts on this year's cycle, voted incumbent David Spiller vs. the two unknown challengers and whackadoodle Craig Carter. Spiller, the presumed winner, is also unopposed in HD 68.

County judge? As noted Monday, there's an actual Democrat in the fall, so I have a general election option. With that, and without giving away a vote on a local race, I made a careful determination on not just the least objectionable, but probably the best overall.

Beyond that, I had the chance to vote for all those GOP resolutions to be considered at the state convention. Easy no on all but one. That was the one to bar puberty blockers and sexual reassignment surgery from minors. Think that's too strong, but on the other hand, the trans activist world (there is such a thing), with its push for reckless use of puberty blockers for minors for relatively ephemeral dysphoria and without accompanying counseling (per Mayo Clinic guidelines) has brought this on.

==

Update: Brains and Eggs (which is which with him?) decided to mock me at his site (not linking, as he didn't link here), for talking about voting in a GOP primary. That's even though in his own tweet-heavy roundups, he quoted Mark Jones talking about many Dems who do it, and then tweeted a piece about Dems who do it, where Jones was interviewed. GFY.

No comments: