SocraticGadfly: How did Linens ’n Things AVOID bankruptcy so long?

July 27, 2008

How did Linens ’n Things AVOID bankruptcy so long?

Linens ’n Things officially filed for bankruptcy this spring, as I noted here.

The store in Cedar Hill, suburban Dallas, where I work as editor of a suburban community newspaper, is among those being closed by the parent company.

Right now, their closeout sale is at 30 percent off on most items.

I dropped in and shelf-shopped last night.

I purchased nothing, but gained a whole new level of skepticism for “power shopping.”

I don’t get how a story like Linens EVER had a viable business model.

Even at 30 percent off, their small appliances, like coffee makers, are more expensive than at Fry’s. And, at 30 percent off, their touted Egyptian cotton towels are more expensive than similar ones at WallyWorld.

Image, I guess, is that powerful for many people. It just shows how true behavioral economics is.

No comments: