SocraticGadfly: UPS cust service has lies and contradictions

July 10, 2009

UPS cust service has lies and contradictions

This is an update of an earlier blog post of mine, detailing first the foibles, and now the outright contradictory information, apparent anti-customer attitude and more, of UPS.

Nickel version of my original blog post: Friend buys me Starbucks, via its website, I presume, and ships. UPS is only shipper Starbucks uses. First day, driver either never hits my apt door or else doesn't leave note. Second day, driver will not leave package despite my being told I could leave a handwritten note absolving UPS of liability. Third day, driver won't leave pkg despite me, per further UPS instruction to sign back of official UPS note from second (first?) visit, absolving UPS of liability.

Well, the package is its way back to a warehouse in Ohio, unless I want to try an intercept on it. And, given UPS policies and delivery times, why? And, given contradictions, or possible lies, why?

UPS called this morning and said that yesterday counted as a third delivery attempt, even though the driver did not leave a second note, did not comment on my liability note, etc. I heard lies or contradictions on the phone today, too.

One was that it was a regular driver who made the first attempt. Either that was wrong today, or that was wrong two days ago, when I was told it wasn’t. Finally, the person who spoke to me today admitted that, whoever it was, he/she did not leave a UPS note.

The second was that they don’t leave boxes at apartment manager’s offices. Either that’s a lie, or a change in policy from three years ago.

The third is that it is OK to leave boxes at apartment doorsteps. If it isn't, then why was I told to sign a note to that effect in the first place?

In any case, they said the package was headed back to Ohio. The lady said I could do an intercept on it, but I’m in no mood to do anything but write UPS another 500-character limited webmail. With a link to this blog post as part of that.

And, yes, it's hard to say much in 500 characters, counting spaces. Between that, and UPS not having phone numbers to call listed in its website, I have to conclude that it is deliberately anti-customer service. And, since it claims it will not deliver to apartment manager's offices, despite having done so in the past, I am telling people never use UPS and absolutely never use it to ship to an apartment. I am also telling people that if a third-party company shipping is UPS only, no options, like Starbucks, then don't buy from that company.

No comments: