SocraticGadfly: Goodbye Dallas

August 29, 2009

Goodbye Dallas

I already said goodbye to the Best Southwest suburbs of Dallas, where I worked for the better part of the last nine years, a day or so ago.

Now, as I prepare to move to Odessa, I say goodbye to the whole Metroplex.

I will miss the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, a lot. I will miss other classical music events in Dallas, like the Fine Arts Chamber Players. I will miss not (yet) having gone to the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. I will miss the art galleries of both cities.

I will miss the Dallas Arboretum and White Rock Lake, especially having seen these water lilies among new items at the arboretum.



Or, this one:




I will miss any of a number of Dallas County’s open space parks, including a new one in Wilmer I just discovered Saturday. I will miss Whole Foods Market and Central Market.

I will miss friends, including one of relatively recent meeting, wishing I could have developed more in-person friendship with Mike, and helped further advance our support group venture.

That said, I will not miss the growing traffic jams of the Metroplex, many of which you can hit on Saturdays or Sundays. Knowing that no serious newspaper is likely to take hold in the Best Southwest in the future, nor a full-service PR firm, I won’t totally miss the idea of having to work in a more crowded, congested part of Dallas, or Fort Worth, had I stayed. I won’t miss the more than 6 million people in the area.

And, Odessa does have a little drier air, more breeze, and cooler nights, as well as a semi-Central Market HEB, a small orchestra, a UT branch, and three national parks within 200 miles, among other things.

Onward, I believe.

No comments: