SocraticGadfly: Obama tells FISA opponents ‘I hear you but I ain’t listening’

July 04, 2008

Obama tells FISA opponents ‘I hear you but I ain’t listening’

Barack Obama has responded to the 17,000 (at last count I heard) members of his blog who have formed a group protesting his cave on the House’s FISA bill.

As I said in the header, he has “heard” you, but he ain’t listening.

In fact, he’s snow-jobbing you.

Shorter BO:
I appreciate you activities making a valuable contribution to participatory democracy. BUT, I really do feel the need to support and pass something in this, an election year. That said, I’m willing to accept 5 percent of a loaf, not only by ditching telecom immunity, but also by accepting basket warrants and accepting the lie that this bill for the first time ever says that FISA is the sole governance for intelligence surveillance.

To get the GOP off my back, because I don’t want to bother fighting them for civil liberties, and because they’re giving us Dems the sop of deciding telecom immunity in the regular court system, I don’t have a problem passing this.

And, and you, especially if you’re involved with the ACLU or the EFF, you’ll get the same answer if there’s more fire behind the smoke on cell phone snooping, too.

Love and Kumbaya and celebrate freedom on the Fourth of July, because it really is just another word for nothing left to lose.

Have fun with BO, Obamiacs.

Two other things about all this.

One, Obama assumes that the Obamiacs will eventually see the superior wisdom of their Fearless Leader, I guess.

Two, Obama must believe that his Internet community sees the Internet as just a campaign finance and campaign social networking tool, rather than an instrument for research, and that he can float these snow jobs about what he claims FISA is and actually be believed.

No comments: