SocraticGadfly: Hypocrisy alert – Obama‘disavows’ Wright

April 29, 2008

Hypocrisy alert – Obama‘disavows’ Wright

Here’s the transcript, here’s the opening statement video and here’s the question-and-answer video.

Here’s Hypocrisy Alert Point No. 1:
The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate, and I believe that they do not portray accurately the perspective of the black church. They certainly don't portray accurately my values and beliefs. And if Rev. Wright thinks that that's political posturing, as he put it, then he doesn't know me very well. And based on his remarks yesterday, well I might not know him as well as I thought, either.

I doubt that Wright has changed that much in 20 years. Wright may be kind enough not to pull Obama under the bus with him, but some member of Trinity may decide to call Obama to account.

I’m not saying Obama should know everything about what Wright said. He was honest later on when he said he’s not a theologian.

But, I can’t believe Obama missed this much of Wright’s message unless Obama is a “Christmas and Easter Christian” or close to it.

Hypocrisy Alert No. 2:
Now, I've already denounced the comments that had appeared in these previous sermons. As I said, I had not heard them before.

So, that would reinforce Wright’s comment yesterday that you’re not that regular a churchgoer, Sen. Obama? And that gets back to your “praising Jesus” comments a few months back.

And, while we’re at it, let’s get some Irony Alert points in here too. Obama, on saying he had not read a transcript or seen a tape of Wright’s comments yesterday afternoon, when asked about Wright’s statements on AIDS:
What I had heard was that he had given a performance.

Well, I’m sure Wright is saying the same about you. See your own “political posturing” comment above, too.

Obama then was asked how this would affect his campaign. Good question.

Obviously, he felt he had to do this as a longer-term strategy.

BUT, but … will black voters in North Carolina’s primary turn their backs on him? Will they think he is a “sellout”?

Back to hypocrisy alerts, though, with Point No. 3, when asked if he would continue to attend Trinity United Church of Christ:
Well, you know, the new pastor — the young pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, is a wonderful young pastor. And as I said, I still very much value the Trinity community. This — I’ll be honest, this obviously has put strains on that relationship, not because of the members or because of Reverend Moss but because this has become such a spectacle.

I believe Moss has already defended Wright, and from Trinity’s pulpit.

That said, Obama had some good points.

One is that, even if Obama had some performance today, Wright had more. As Obama put it, Wright “caricatured himself,” something Obama said “made me angry but also made me sad.”

Second was that, contra Wright, and tied with the point above, the media attacks on Wright were and are not attacks on “the black church.”

And, I think Wright has done serious damage to his relationship with Obama. If I were any political candidate, and I had a minister go out of the way like that, it would strain, strongly strain, my feelings.

Final thought — why isn’t the mainstream media pushing more on John Hagee?

First, what Hagee has said has been bad enough, but not that bad.

Second, he hasn’t gone on an out-of-his-way press tour.

Third, despite the first two points, the MSM has been, if not asleep at wheel, driving on Schmuck Talk Express™ cruise control.

The Post also notes Obama’s claim that his campaign offered Wright public relations help.

That’s a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don’t on whether or not the two are coordinating.

No comments: