SocraticGadfly: Meh on the Olympics

August 12, 2024

Meh on the Olympics

And, my mehness has been growing for years.

I've not watched extended activity in any sport and have watched nothing beyond ESPN-level 90-second clips.

I had to Google a week ago to find out what this 400-meter mixed relay was. Pass.

And, it was already in Tokyo. I missed that.

Three-on-three hoops? Meh. Beach volleyball? Also meh. That said, this year's US teams are medal-less.

There's no major competitive league in either, but both were pushed by the U.S. Doesn't India have some national game from the pre-Raj world? China? Can we bring back to life the ancient Mayan quasi-basketball sport?

After all, breakdancing is in this year. Oy. Per that link, so is skateboarding. Well, IOC, I hope you're attracting that younger audience; you've lost me.

I have little doubt Merikkka will push for pickleball to be included in 2028. Maybe MMA?

Or, let's skip the line on that and go to the ancient pankration.

What about chariot races? They were an ancient Olympics sport. Or, substitute an Olympics Formula 1 race.

Or we could have a contest to see who can best imitate the ancient Olympians, like the Paris Feast of Dionysius event that led to fauxtrage from the US religious right, followed by a piling on by pseudoleftist John Helmer, sporting some of his worst knee-jerk anti-Western claims. God I'm glad I dropped his blog from my blogroll. What a doorknob.

Another reason to say meh? The politicization. Russian athletes can't participate under the Russian flag but Israelis can under theirs? Wingnuts like Havana Ted lying about Imane Khelif can politicize in other ways?

And another? The Chinese are right in calling the US doping hypocrites.

No comments: