SocraticGadfly: Neoliberal environmentalist Karens in the wilderness

August 19, 2022

Neoliberal environmentalist Karens in the wilderness

And, I mean that literally. 

Several times on my recent trip, in both Colorado and New Mexico, I saw dogs off-leash in federal wilderness areas. Even if not posted (it wasn't in Lizard Head Pass Wilderness), that is strictly illegal. 

It's for the wildlife's sake more than the dog's. That said, a dog could tangle with a coyote and come out the worse for wear, a skunk and come out stinky, or a porcupine and possibly have to be put to sleep if it gets quills in its neck that work into its throat and esophagus. I speak from childhood knowledge.

When called out on it, the Karens, whether one woman or a group, tend to get indignant.

Hence, the full title.

I mean, seriously, it's like they think it's a doorknob-given right.

Sadly, they're aided and abetted by others. New Mexico magazine, a year or so ago, had a story about a woman wilderness hiker who let her dogs run off-leash in wilderness in or near where I have hiked, near either Taos or Santa Fe.

I emailed the publisher saying that it was poor form to have that in the story without at least having an editor's note at the end about federal regulations. Heard crickets back.

The magazine arguably mirrors the state as The Land of Disenchantment at times.+

No comments: