SocraticGadfly: Limits of Green tolerance?

June 12, 2020

Limits of Green tolerance?

I was, until either late last Thursday, or Friday morning, a few months ago, a member of a "closed" Facebook group about discussion of Green Party issues.

The group's description, while noting it is not an official Green Party social media outlet, stresses that it is run "by Greens, for Greens." I was added, per request of a Facebook friend also a member, about 3 weeks ago.

In the past few days before getting the boot, I had first called out two people for talking about conspiracy theories, one a JFK assassination comment touting JFK conspiracy theorist David Talbot's book about the history of the CIA, and another about 9/11 Truthers and NIST allegedly being tired of trying to refute them. Per officially listed Green Party values, I talked about issues, not people.

Then, on another thread, about piece issues, a person started posting links to the Washington Times and Charles Krauthammer. I eventually, after asking aloud "why," clicked the link to his profile. On his feed, I saw public posts by him calling Earth Day a "scam" (certainly not a Green-leaning thought) and an anti-gay post that went Godwin's Law with a picture of Hitler.

So, I then asked why he was a member of the group, tagging the one moderator, Joni LeViness. I also asked aloud who had invited him and why? That was Thursday, the 12th. Again, I didn't violate posted principles; the worst I called him was "dude."

The next morning? I discover I've apparently been booted.

If it was over calling out conspiracy thinking, congrats, folks, you've just reflected and doubled down on a stereotypical view many have of the Green Party.

If it was over calling out why a person was a member, if one of the moderators got butt-hurt about it, congrats, you're making yourself look more like Dems or Rethugs.

If it was for posting links to some of my blog posts, all you had to do was tell me to post less. They're certainly more Green-aligned than stuff others had posted.

If it was for saying that, on another thread, while I have no proof Snowden is a fellow traveler of Putin, that I don't reject the idea, either, congrats again for a relative lack of critical thinking.

Well, that turned out to be a glitch or something. I got back in.

But, later on?

I was in, but "frozen."

And, it turns out it wasn't me. One of the admins apparently first untagged other admins so he was the sole admin, then "archived" the group. I do know about the archiving. I can't say more about the apparently. It might be related to issues related to Mike Gamms and the GP official FB group. That's all I can say right now, other than referencing Gamms.

No comments: