SocraticGadfly: Can the Doinks regain the Texas House?

January 07, 2020

Can the Doinks regain the Texas House?

Could the Doinks flip the House side of the Texas Lege? The Trib speculates. My guess is "probably not," but I wouldn't be surprised to see the difference narrowed from the current 83-67 to something like 80-70, which in turn means a Straus (Straus lite) Rethug has a good shot at the speakership. And, it would mean that Abbott, Danny Goeb, and other Rethug wingnuts in the Big House and the Senate would be handcuffed.

And, in the light of Mucus and Bonnen, narrowing the gap would led House Democrats not only help select a Straus Republican, but be in the position of a beauty contest judge, and vet multiple candidates.

If nothing else, at least the Doinks are contesting every seat this year. I know in Cooke County, when I called and emailed the county chair to ask if they had any local candidates running this year (answer is no, but they have two in a contested primary for Drew Springer's seat), he sounded semi-shocked, and pretty delighted, that he was even being contacted.

I may do one update shortly before primary day; if not, one will follow soon after.

Right now, if you put a gun to my head and told me to offer odds or percentages? I'd say 85-15 the GOP stays in control but 50-50 Dems shave it by exactly those three seats to 80-70.

That said, I'm not native Texan; has there ever been a tie in the House? And, has it blocked a Speaker election, if so?

No comments: