SocraticGadfly: I warned you not to do it, Ralph

February 24, 2008

I warned you not to do it, Ralph

Determined to become the Harold Stassen of our age, Ralph Nader has announced another run for president. Given the fact that the Green Party was nowhere mentioned in this or several other versions of the story, I assume that means he’s going to run as an independent no matter what, whether or not he even tries to get the Green nomination first. His website talks about getting Nader on the ballot in 50 states, another indication he’s not going to run as a Green.

Ralph, if you were to become the Greens’ official candidate, I’d vote for you. Otherwise? No way in hell. You’re on an ego trip, and you’re splitting the left-alternative vote.

That said, Obama is right that Nader can come off as a “my way or the highway” type:
In many ways, he is a heroic figure, and I don’t mean to diminish him. But I do think there’s a sense now that, you know, if, if somebody’s not hewing to the Ralph Nader agenda, then you, you must be lacking in some way.

On the other hand, on issues like becoming more pro-Israeli, even pro-Israeli hardliner, etc., Nader lands some shots back.

Oh, and if the age issue is legitimate? You’re more than two years older than McCain.

No comments: