SocraticGadfly: Using the new Blogger beta

October 04, 2006

Using the new Blogger beta

Overall, gotta say I love it. I’ve been dying to have the ability to tag my posts, like professional blogs from people who get ads through consortia of like-minded people, or else put out the “pay me” or “donate to me” shingle post often enough.

Well, now I can.

The changes to the template system, with the page elements, to allow draw-and drag reconfiguring? Nice, but not massive. It took me a minute or two to figure out what to put where, in transferring things from my old template.

But, the tags, that’s the biggie.

Oh, I noticed there doesn’t seem to be an Atom feed link to go with the beta settings; instead there’s a feed listed at each individual post. Well, now, I have to e-mail Blogger to find out about putting a regular RSS link for the whole blog up, so I can then reinstall Haloscan. And why can’t Blogger/Google have the beta configured to do an auto-reinstall of Haloscan?

I DID notice that one of my links, to my Amazon book reviews, did NOT transfer over in the template upgrade.

I’m also not totally fond of the Euro-style “October 04” dating. And why the hell is Chicago the ONLY U.S. city listed under Central Time Zone settings?

But, I’ll see what Blogger has to say in an e-mail.

No comments: