SocraticGadfly: About that word 'nephew,' r/NBA

July 14, 2023

About that word 'nephew,' r/NBA

I don't like it. 

Not in the way you use it.

I know its origin story, how Snoop Dogg pushed it as a more positive option to "nigga/s/z" and meant it to be used in a complimentary sense.

I can accept a putdown from another r/NBA Redditor, whether warranted or not. 

But, use another word.

I'm venturing that, as with most social media programs, the typical Redditor is Whiter, or more specific and more relevant to this issue, more likely to be non-Black than the general population. I'm likewise venturing that the average semi-regular r/NBA user is more likely to be non-Black than the average semi-serious, more than casual, NBA fan, and probably not too old. (This snarky take, on Reddit itself, is good.) And, whoever Alphr is, it says I might be overestimating the non-Blackness a bit, but not a lot, and that I'm getting the age demographic right, or maybe estimating still too high. Indeed, Statista says that, across the board, 75 percent of Redditors are under 40. And, this site says almost two-thirds of Redditors have a bachelor's degree. Given that college degrees skew White, or rather, non-Black to put it in more detail, that further supports my presupposition. And, this site says only 7 percent of users are Black.

In other words, the average r/NBA Redditor wrongly using "nephew" as an insult is a White younger Gen-Xer or Millennial trying to put off some urban vibes or something, and they're doing so while probably embodying a few quasi-stereotypes of White metrosexual hipster bros.

Well, my vibes are to block you. Capiche? Because you're chuds. And, going back to a post of mine last week, I'm going to start blocking now.

No comments: