SocraticGadfly: Coronavirus, Week 40: Want a real job, get a real jab

January 12, 2021

Coronavirus, Week 40: Want a real job, get a real jab



More than once since returning home from vacation, I Tweeted or Tweet-messaged Dallas Love Field about the COVIDIOTS above, maskless in the Love Field baggage claim. Facebook-messaged them once. Also contacted Phoenix Sky Harbor airport, since they had been on my flight and the dad at least had been maskless, or semi-maskless, in the boarding area at my gate there.

Sky Harbor responded promptly. Love Field has not. Not despite me adding two Twitter messages to the original one. So? Last Saturday, I Tweeted again, and tagged Southwest as well as Love Field and told them their flights could take a hit. And, that's the start for this in-depth blog post. Neither had responded as of "Press time."

And, we're now at "push come to shove," as I got Love Field's attention and it said:
We ask that all travelers wear a mask while traveling through DAL, but we have to rely on the airlines to enforce this. We have signage throughout the airport reminder passengers of mask requirements, as well as overhead announcements.
On Twitter messaging, I copy-pasted that in a new comment to Southwest.

• Are you a COVID denialist? (Probably not, if you're reading here and have been regularly.) But, if you are? If you want a job, then you probably need a denialist boss. The EEOC has said that employers can require employees to get the jab. Per the link, I await the number of people creating "The Church of the Religious Coronavirus Vaccine Exemption" or similar. And, since the feds and courts have ruled that employers can prohibit off the job smoking and things like this? You've got no chance of winning a suit on this, denialists.

• Via my sis, I saw this New York Times end of year retrospective on COVID in Gallup, New Mexico, on the town where I grew up. (Unlike her, though, I don't consider it my "hometown"; I don't consider that I totally have one at all, and I'd halfway plump for Pittsburg, Kansas, if you put a gun to my head.) Some may recognize Gallup as "The Indian Capital of the World" and gateway to the Big Rez.

Plenty of Texas COVID news from the Trib:
  1. A number of rural hospitals still have no vaccine.
  2. If you're in a rural area and your hospital DOES have it, good luck getting your shot; Texas' vaccine rollout is quasi-Trumpian in its badness.
  3. Whether in a rural area or not, good luck getting a shot in general with lack of vaccine doses.
  4. If you're in an urban area, good luck getting a jab if you're Black or Hispanic (and trust vaccinations — and both the distrust and reasons for it are real, and the reasons historically grounded).
  5. Texas Dems want Strangeabbott to address these and other issues.
As the Monthly details? Much of the problem stems from Strangeabbott's state health commissioner, John Hellerstedt, ordering "tier two" people to be vaccinated, on calendar clockwork, even though many tier one people had never gotten their two jabs.

No comments: