SocraticGadfly: I’m not buying what Zig Ziglar is selling for Election Day

October 26, 2006

I’m not buying what Zig Ziglar is selling for Election Day

A Ziglar-voiced robocall was on my answering machine this evening, encouraging me to vote for judges with “Judeo-Christian” values.

First, which Judeo-Christian values, Zig? The Jesus of Mark who told his followers to reject the entire Torah’s writings about dietary laws? The Jesus as voiced by Paul, who told his followers to ignore even the law given pre-Abraham, pre-Judaism, to Noah, about proper animal slaughter?

Second, what about all the Indians in Richardson? What if they want judges with Hindu values? What about the Palestinians and other Muslims in the Metroplex? What if they want judges with Muslim values?

Zig also calls us not to elect judges legislating from the bench. Well, Zig, since I didn’t have a chance to vote for or against five Supreme Court justices in 2000 (although Gore brought that in part on himself by trying to cherry-pick recounts), there’s nothing I can do about those damned conservative activist judges legislating from the bench.

No comments: