SocraticGadfly: Palin speech - official advance release

September 03, 2008

Palin speech - official advance release

From my work e-mail to you, per RNC e-mail, here’s an early release on Palin’s speech highlights.

Either the McCain campaign, or Sarah Palin herself, think the American political public is even bigger idiots than Mencken might wager.

On her experience as a public servant:
"I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town. I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids’ public education better. When I ran for city council, I didn’t need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a ‘community organizer,’ except that you have actual responsibilities."

Truth: Nobody’s “looked down” on your experience, but your lack of experience. Being mayor of a town of 6,000 is NOT experience that translates to national politics.

Besides, given your attempt to ban books, your firing of the librarian who refused to ban books, your deficit budgets, and your raising taxes, is this really experience you want to highlight? Didn’t think so.
On why she is going to Washington, D.C.:
"I’m not a member of the permanent political establishment. And I’ve learned quickly, these past few days, that if you’re not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone. But here’s a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I’m not going to Washington to seek their good opinion — I’m going to Washington to serve the people of this country."

Truth: Plenty of people outside the “establishment” think you’re a novice and an idiot, too.
On energy policies that the McCain-Palin administration will implement:
"Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America’s energy problems — as if we all didn’t know that already. But the fact that drilling won’t solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all. Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we’re going to lay more pipelines...build more nuclear plants...create jobs with clean coal...and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources. We need American energy resources, brought to you by American ingenuity, and produced by American workers."

Truth: Lay more pipelines? WTF? Is the GOP speechwriting machine THAT bad? And “produced by American workers?” What, we’re not going to have either the Chinese or illegal immigrants produce American energy?

“Clean” coal gets a pass because B.O. and the Dems are down with it, too. Nuclear, if done responsibly and without handouts, gets a pass from me.

Oh, one final thought — is this the BEST that was excerptable from her speech? Wow.

NOTE: My "show me the birth certificate post will be up later.

No comments: