SocraticGadfly: Ryan Braun skates on technicality

February 28, 2012

Ryan Braun skates on technicality

"The Hebrew Hammer," Milwaukee Brewers' slugging outfielder Ryan Braun, has gotten his 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball for allegedly using performance enhancing drugs overturned.

I think he's innocent by the letter of the law. But, otherwise? More murky, despite his claims.
“It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation,” he said. “We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.” 

“I have been an open book, willing to share details from every aspect of my life as part of this investigation, because I have nothing to hide,” the statement added. “I have passed over 25 drug tests in my career, including at least three in the past year.”
I think he likely was a user of something, if not a steroid.

But, this is the rule of law. Let MLB's Rob Manfred rant.  The testing agreement specifies samples have to get to Montreal ASAP, and this one didn't. Given that it was the postseason, with fewer teams and games at one time in play, the sloth is even less excusable than if it happened in the regular season.

And, the test allegedly didn't "hit" on a steroid. So while Bud Selig is right that testing has gotten better, it's still not perfect, either.

UPDATE: By acting like a piece of shit toward the person who had custody of the samples, as Jeff Passan explains, Braun is doing nothing but make himself look more guilty in my eyes. The Hebrew Chutzpaher?

And that collector, Dino Laurentz Jr., has responded.

No comments: