SocraticGadfly: 'Always On' isn't always on

November 12, 2011

'Always On' isn't always on

I'm now reviewing some books at Goodreads; Amazon and I are undergoing a trial separation, about which I'll be blogging soon, as, given Amazon's crappy customer service to an A-list reviewer, this is likely to eventually become a divorce.

Anyway, read on!

Always On: How the iPhone Unlocked the Anything-Anytime-Anywhere Future--and Locked Us InAlways On: How the iPhone Unlocked the Anything-Anytime-Anywhere Future--and Locked Us In by Brian Chen

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


A disappointment. Chen is a former writer for Macworld, and, while I could tell the book was thin by picking it up at the library, nonetheless, with the dust cover promising to talk about vertical integration, issues I’ve called “infowars” on my blog, I still expected a more critical eye on Mac. I agree with Chen about Android’s open source kind of biting back Google, but Chen appears to worry not that much about Apple’s semi-dictatorial vertical control, only enough to slap it on the hands as if he was trying to appear not too biased. As far as psychological-type implications of people being “always on,” it wasn’t that deep that way, either.



View all my reviews




No comments: