STEPHEN J. SNYDER
117 Lakeview Drive, Apt. 104
Marlin, TX 76661
936-419-1539 (cell, primary)
SUMMARY: Whether you need crisp, clear, concise news releases, in-depth presentations, branding or similar writing, brainstorming and idea generation, web and social media outreach, a PowerPoint or public speaking, I have the experience you need — award-winning experience.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS: I have than 10 years of award-winning editing, writing and design experience, including researching information, analyzing and defining needs for story focus, creating and selling ideas via persuasive informational writing, managing and multitasking projects. I have additional experience with website content management and the use of various social media. Among my other skills and experience are desktop publishing, photography and photo editing, volunteer marketing and public relations.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Persuasive communications: Editorials work — I helped defeat a school bond issue shortly before the housing bubble hit, saving suburban Dallas taxpayers major headaches and money. Public speaking: Whether it’s serious, straight or a bit of both, I hit the style of speaking needed for an audience and event. Analysis and Research: I have conducted fact-finding, research and conclusions for detailed investigative news stores; as part of that, I know what facts are important and what are not, and what facts capture attention and what don’t. New Media: I have both personal and professional experience and thoughts to offer. A Tweet — that’s a newspaper headline in new format. Facebook involves branding, customer service, marketing and more. Blogging and in-depth website posts offer ways to communicate in detail.
• InDesign • Photoshop • Quark • Office suite • Web content • Social media • Video
Editor and Publisher, September 2012 — Marlin Democrat, Marlin, Texas
• Do-it-all small-town publisher — editing, desktop publishing, managing bookkeeper and ad salesperson, plus selling ads myself, both with regular customers and an occasional cold call.
Managing editor, Dec. 2011-Sept. 2012 — Marble Falls Highlander, Marble Falls, Texas
• Marketed and reported arts, entertainment and news as editor of a community lifestyles publication as well as a semiweekly newspaper, managing two staff writers, two other editors
Copy Editor, September 2009–December 2011 — Odessa American, Odessa, Texas
• Led editorial office as Sunday slot editor • Was part of teamwork winning state awards
• Helped surpass profit-share goals • Helped improve daily success for on-time publication
Managing editor, September 2007- July 2009 — Today Newspapers, Duncanville, Texas
• Started blog, Twitter account for group of four newspapers • Improved social media use
• Hired and managed staff writers • Edited and managed company website content
• Edited, updated website content • Marketed newspaper operations to public
Managing Editor, January 2007- September 2007 — Navasota Examiner, Navasota, Texas
• Edited and managed editorial staff, freelancers • Edited, updated website content
STEPHEN J. SNYDER
Editor, later also assistant managing editor, April 2000 to January 2007
Today Newspapers, DeSoto, Texas; contact information above
• Assisted in redesign of newspaper • Improved publication timelines
• Won numerous state awards • Named top regional journalist
Managing editor, weekly newspaper: • Moved paper from deficit to profit
City editor-reporter, daily paper: • Wrote feature and news stories on a daily basis.
College adjunct instructor: • Taught English, business writing, sociology, psychology
Proofreader, book publisher: • Proofread nonfiction books, with occasional copy editing work
Intern minister • Supervised work included teaching, religious instruction, counseling
• North and East Texas Press Association — Journalist of the Year, weekly division, 2005.
• Texas Press Association Better Newspaper Contests — First place, sweepstakes: 2002, 2005; first, general excellence, 2004, 2009; first, page design, 2002, 2003; first, news writing, 2002; first, editorials, 2005
• North and East Texas Press Association contests — first, editorials, 1999; editorials, news, special sections, 2001; columns, 2002, general excellence, headlines, sports 2005; (partial list).
• Texas Press Association, Better Newspaper Contest committee, 2006.
Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Mo.
•Trained in administration, public speaking, teaching, church marketing, and counseling.
• Started new class by petition drive, and developed syllabus, objectives for course.
• Served on student senate.
Bachelor of Arts
St. John’s College, Winfield, Kan.
• Elected student body president, 1983-84.
• Elected to three years of student senate.
COMMUNITY and OTHER
• Diversity and conflict resolution training from Greater Dallas Community Relations Commission
• Board of directors, Lancaster Chamber of Commerce (ex officio)
• Member, Lancaster Human Relations Commission, city of Lancaster; elected chairman 2003
• Volunteer work and leadership positions, various volunteer groups
WORK SAMPLES and SUPPORTING INFORMATION
Writing, design, photo clips: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B1imgeBDYOFDWm5ha3pybGpPbk0