SocraticGadfly: On the coffee table: ‘President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman’

July 27, 2008

On the coffee table: ‘President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman’

William Lee Miller shows there is indeed something new under the sun to be written about Abraham Lincoln.

From my Amazon review:
Miller had an almost throwaway line about halfway through the book where he stated his opinion that Lincoln was the most intelligent president we've ever had, bar none – not even Jefferson.

And, by the time I got done, I came to the impression that this statement (with which I heartily agree) was the fulcrum of the whole book.

Miller breaks Lincoln's Civil War activities down into easily reviewed and analyzed chunks, and in doing so, parses, pulls out, and displays Lincoln's intelligence undergoing presidential growth, meeting the challenges and rising to the occasion.

For more about this and under books I’ve been reading, visit my Amazon reviews.

No comments: